Wednesday, November 02, 2005

First couple of days in Calgary

The first couple of days in Calgary have been great. The weather has been nice and mild, although we did have a wee bit of snow last night, nothing major. I’ve had 4 runs on the track now and getting a good feel for it. We slide this morning at 10:30am after the bobsledders.

Yesterday I went shopping with Lou, in search of some essentials, of course. I was rather pleased with my purchases of a digital caliper which I need to measure the rock (the amount of bow) I put in my runners. This amount can be anywhere from 5mm to 15mm, depending on ice conditions, the track itself, weather conditions and the type of runners I am using that run. I also bought a thermos flask for those long, cold days at the track J

I have had one session in the “Icehouse” which is an indoor start facility that replicates the start of the actual track. It means I can practise my starts more often than just twice a day during my runs. I pushed a personal best time on my second push so very happy with my progress. Just goes to show that the work I put in over the summer is going to pay off!

Time to go and have breakfast and get my gear ready to go to the track.